CHOCOLATE AND CHERRY PAVLOVA
PUBLISHED: 16:00 28 June 2016 | UPDATED: 12:37 30 August 2017
Black Forest Gateaux vibes
100g dark chocolate, melted and cooled
4 medium egg whites
220g caster sugar
1/2 tsp white wine vinegar
100g skinned, roasted hazelnuts, roughly chopped
450ml double cream
500g cherries, pitted
1 glass marsala or cherry liqueur
10g dark chocolate, for grating
- Begin by macerating your cherries. Place them in a bowl and cover with the marsala, toss them through thewine until they are thoroughly coated and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 170 and line two baking sheets with baking parchment. Whisk the egg whites in aspotlessly clean bowl or stand mixer until soft peaks form, then, without stopping whisking, gradually addthe sugar, a little at a time, whisking constantly until thick and glossy. Whisk in the vinegar. Pour the meltedchocolate down the sides of the bowl, turning the bowl to distribute it evenly, and then fold it through withthe nuts, until the meringue is marbled with chocolate.
- Spread a circle of the chocolate and hazelnut meringue - about 20-25cm diameter on each baking sheet.Bake for 35-40 minutes (don’t worry if it cracks, it will still taste delicious), until they peel away easily fromthe parchment. Remove from the oven and carefully lift the meringues and parchment onto wire racks tocool. Peel the parchment from the meringues and then, using a wide palate knife carefully lift on onto aserving platter or cake stand.
- Whip the cream to just soft peaks, being very careful not to overwhip, and then drain the marsala from thecherries into the cream and fold through, along with half of the cherries. Spread just over half of the mix onthe bottom layer of meringue, top with the other disc of meringue, the remaining cream mix and then theleftover cherries.
- Grate over the dark chocolate and serve. This is, in my opinion, even better the day afterso feel free to make it ahead and refrigerate.
Recipe supplied byseasonalberries.co.uk