GETTING 'DELICIOUS' WITH ACTRESS DAWN FRENCH
PUBLISHED: 14:58 20 December 2016 | UPDATED: 12:29 30 August 2017
With Dawn French’s new show Delicious’ set to air on December 30th, set in Cornwall, we wanted to share the top 6 deliciously different Cornish food experiences. Cornwall has some deliciously different tasty offerings from coast to coast and like Dawn, we are crazy for Cornwall and crazy for good food!
Whether it’s a post-surf hangout you’re after or a Michelin-starred experience, you are guaranteed to have your epicurean dreams met in this county brimming with culinary creativity. Here are our top 6 deliciously different experiences:
- Beer and food pairing in RockRelax at The Mariners, in Rock, North Cornwall, a joint venture from Nathan Outlaw and Sharp’s Brewery. Enjoy the beer and food pairing menu which offers the freshest dishes with award winning Sharp’s beers. Relax and soak up the winter afternoon sun, with a table overlooking the Camel estuary and refresh with a Doom Bar beer whilst tucking into fresh Porthilly oysters or grilled mackerel or steak.
- A Michelin-starred getaway in gourmet heavenTreat yourself to a special North Cornwall getaway, where epicures have the opportunity to have an utterly indulgent dining experience at three of Michelin-star chef Nathan Outlaw’s award winning foodie destinations and the à la carte restaurant at St Moritz Hotel. The unique food-lovers’ break includes a three night stay for two people at iconic St Moritz Hotel located between Rock and Polzeath right in the heart of the culinary triangle.
- Brisket & BluesAt the Star and Garter, in Falmouth, the tastiest of Cornish produce is smoked and cured on site and served up to the tunes of live blues music. Shuck an Oyster or six, sip some local beers and relax in the cool banquet room with stunning unspoilt views across Falmouth Harbour. The open plan kitchen is home to chefs’ favourite toys; the Green Egg, ceramic BBQs, a pickling area and butchery room and this cosy gastropub has a unique nose to tail’ philosophy whereby the menu is constantly changing as the chefs work through their ingredients.
- Seaside disco and sumptuous roast on the coastHeld in Newquay’s Carnmarth Hotel’s grand indoor marquee, the pop tunes are in full flow every Sunday from 12pm and whilst little disco divas build up an appetite, parents can retreat from the beat and chill out in the C-View Bar & Restaurant overlooking Fistral Beach. When the little superstars are ready to re-fuel, the whole family can enjoy a hearty roast on the coast all together. Plus kids eat absolutely free (with every paying adult)*
- IndulGIN the ultimate afternoon teaEnjoy the nation’s favourite tipple and tradition in one with an afternoon tea at the Fistral Beach Hotel and Spa in Newquay, overlooking iconic Fistral Beach with views sweeping far out over the coast. Hendrick’s Gin, with natural base ingredients of flowers, roots fruits and seeds provide a light, refreshing taste that is perfect for afternoon cocktails by the sea.
- Prep and cook your own fishlike a professional fishmongerBased in the picturesque village of Mawnan Smith near Falmouth, Annie Sibert invites you to her fish kitchen to teach you all you need to know from understanding what to look for when buying fish, how to prepare (filleting, skinning, deboning etc.) and how to cook it to perfection. A fishmonger for 25 years, what she doesn’t know about fish isn’t worth knowing. Let her take away any confusion and give you the confidence to love the bounty of our coastal waters.