TILDA RICE & SPICE PAIRING GUIDE RECIPES
PUBLISHED: 16:33 10 October 2014 | UPDATED: 13:14 30 August 2017
Tilda® is releasing the first ever Rice & Spice Pairing Guide in partnership with spice expert and MasterChef winner Dhruv Baker. Launching this October to celebrate Diwali, the guide has been designed to help people understand the complex characteristics of rice and discover the perfect mealtime pairings.
In the UK, Brits consume on average over 6kg of rice a year. But with so many varieties, choosing the best accompaniment to your home cooked dish can be challenging. Just like a fine wine, each rice variety offers distinctive flavour tones and textures. The superior Pure Original Basmati grain is aged to allow the unique taste and aroma to be at its best once cooked. This should be paired with the right spices and flavours which work with its flavour profile without overpowering a dish.
Whether preparing a rich chilli con carne with wholegrain Basmati or rustling up a creamy salmon & asparagus stroganoff with Basmati & Wild rice, the Tilda® pairing guide reveals the ultimate rice and spice combinations to bring out the very best in your cooking.
Included in the guide is a unique rice variety chart, top rice and spice pairing principles from Dhruv and the perfect recipes to match. The guide helps uncover how wholegrain Basmati balances perfectly with spices like smoked paprika in a chilli con carne and why Pure Basmati, often referred to as the Prince of Rice’, is an ideal accompaniment to a perfect chicken curry. Making the most of Tilda’s® range of rice varieties and creating the very best mouth-watering dishes at home has never been so simple.
The Tilda® Rice and Spice Pairing Guide features six new and exclusive recipes including:
GIANT WILD RICE MEDLEY
The nuttiness and texture from the Giant Wild Rice needs something with similar properties from the spice world - and that something has to be mustard seeds. Texturally they are a match and more importantly in terms of flavour they are ideal - their rounded almost bitter flavour ideal with the rice but a gorgeous contrast to the smooth mellowness of the lentils.
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 45 mins
125g Tilda Giant Wild Rice
4 sea bass fillets
100g split yellow peas
6 tablespoons olive oil
Zest and juice of 1 lemon
Handful of chopped parsley
2 teaspoons wholegrain mustard (or Dijon)
1 clove crush garlic
Pinch of salt
Pinch of pepper
- In a pan of boiling water add the yellow split peas and the Tilda Giant Wild Rice and cook at a simmer for 40 mins then drain the excess water off.
- In separate bowl add olive oil and the lemon zest and juice, crushed garlic, salt and pepper and whisk to make a dressing then add the rice and lentils. Add the parsley and mix well.
- Pan fry the sea bass for approx. 10 minutes, season to taste.
LAMB CHILLI CON CARNE
Wholegrain Basmati is a world apart from Pure Basmati in terms of flavour and texture. A firmer grain with the bran layer intact and a nuttier aroma and taste, making an ideal match for this delicious, rich chilli con carne.
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 30 Mins
1 tbsp olive oil
2 sprigs of rosemary, chopped
1 large white onion, chopped
½ red pepper, diced
½ orange pepper, diced
2 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
1 heaped tsp hot chilli powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp smoked paprika
500g lean lamb mince
400g can chopped tomatoes
400g can red kidney beans
Soured cream and guacamole, to serve
240g Tilda Wholegrain Basmati Rice
- Heat the oil in a pan and add the chopped onions followed by chopped rosemary, frying until the rosemary releases its oils (about 2-3 mins).
- Add the garlic, peppers and then the mince lamb. Cook the meat until it separates out (approx. 10 mins.).
- Add the red kidney beans followed by the tomatoes, cumin, chilli powder and cook for 15 mins until bubbling.
- For the rice cook 240g of Tilda Wholegrain Basmati as per pack instructions.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream and guacamole.
Visit www.tilda.com/riceandspice to download the Tilda® Rice and Spice Guide