Spring clean your home
PUBLISHED: 14:55 04 April 2016 | UPDATED: 12:41 30 August 2017
InteriorDesigner Celia Sawyer, shares her interior design expert tips and tricks to re-fresh your living space.
Depending on your budget, there are a few integral factors you can consider to immediately liven up your home:
- Accessories are a major player here. Analyse your space and move your objet d’art around for an immediate re-vamp. Identify the gaps and use great fillers such as photo frames, decorative boxes, candles and books.
- Investing in a hardback book is a great piece for your coffee table so start shopping around. I particularly love fashion so will often purchase books by designers that have excellent fashion-photography on the front and inside. Similarly, the big names such as Chanel, Dior and my favourite Tom Ford have some beautiful books which make excellent talking points, so buying one great book can quickly update and stylize your room.
- Photo frames are another simple yet effective way to update the home. I recommend placing them in odd numbers as it creates more interest and I’m not a huge fan of constant symmetry. Opt for leather, croc-affect and silver-leaf and don’t be afraid to use them together – it makes things more interesting to look at.
- Candles are wonderful to set the mood in a room; there are certain makes which have gorgeous branding so they act as objet d’art in their own right. I love Sandy Bay candles with their luxury scents and black and gold detailing – very me!
- Inject colour into your home for an immediate spring update. Cushions, bed linen, bed spreads and faux-flower arrangements are all easy home improvements and don’t have to cost the earth. There are some beautiful silk flowers on the market, where the flowers look very real yet have a lot less maintenance than the real thing. I’ll invest in orchids and amaryllis for my client’s homes – often for £100 or less the entrance, hallway or living room is immediately spruced up and offers a wow-factor through these arrangements. Go as elaborate as you dare!
- Adding colour via accessories allows you to update your look on a temporary level, so you can change every season should you wish. I love emerald green, claret tones, bronzes and rich navy blues. Buy yourself a throw and matching cushions to add a little bit of personality to your master bedroom or living room, you can’t go wrong.