THE ROSELAND: WHERE HISTORY AND BEAUTY MEET

PUBLISHED: 21:17 20 May 2014 | UPDATED: 12:15 30 August 2017

Roseland-Church

Roseland-Church

The Roseland Peninsula was described almost 450 years ago by mapmaker, John Norden, as a circuit of land lying between the creek of Falmouth haven and the sea’

Described almost 450 years ago by mapmaker, John Norden, as a circuit of land lying between the creek of Falmouth haven and the sea’, the Roseland Peninsula remains one of Britain’s most unspoilt areas

Dominated by the town of St Mawes – which attracts many visitors via a ferry ride from – the is a microcosm of Cornwall – there are gorgeous beaches, cliffs, coastal walks and plenty of watersport and land-based activities from gig racing and regattas to the festivals and fetes to be found here as well as independent cafes and restaurants serving up the best in local produce.

Alongside St Mawes, the peninsula includes St Just in Roseland - not to be confused with the town near Land’s End – and Gerrans. But where does the Roseland Peninsula begin? This continues to be a point of discussion amongst Roseland inhabitants. According to Lindsay Righton, who runs the beautiful Broom Parc B&B on the water’s edge – it depends.

“Most locals will say it ends at Tregony,” she says. “But if you are an estate agent you will probably go further because Roseland is such as desirable place to live.” And Broom Parc is probably one of the most desirable residences in this area - especially for visitors. Accessed through a garden gate from the Coastal Path the Georgian house looks out on to the sea.

“We have got the most beautiful view,” Lindsay says. “We have a gate onto the coastal footpath and our visitors can walk down to Portloe for supper. “The last few days have been down to the beach at 7 o’clock in the morning and its delightful – the tide is out and it’s just glorious – you really appreciate where you live.”

The 1908 property is owned by the National Trust, who rent it to Lindsay and husband Keith, who have run it as a bed and breakfast for 18 years. With just three rooms for rent, it is always in demand – not least by people familiar with it as the setting of the 1992 Channel 4 series The Camomile Lawn by Mary Wesley. “We still get people here who are fascinated by the programme and want to know about the house and the cast and see where it was filmed,” admits Lindsay who took on the house, then run down and ripe for refurbishment, after seeing an advert in the local paper.

The peninsula is also home to the and and people gather along St Mawes harbour outside St Mawes Hotel at 6pm to enjoy the Thursday Night Sailing each week.

WE RECOMMEND...

The five thatched circular cottages are now available as holiday lets. It was thought that the round shape would guard the village from evil as there were no corners in which the devil could hide!

St Mawes Castle

It’s circular bastions are shaped like a clover leaf with gun ports covering every angle of approach. St Mawes Castle was built by Henry VII as a defence against invasion by France.

Home to a National Magnolia Collection, the gardens at Caerhays are a spring-time wonderland for visitors.

The 120-acre woodland gardens are English Heritage Listed Grade II*.

St. Just-in-Roseland Church

Considered one of the most beautiful churches in England thanks in part to its setting on the water’s edge it sits surrounded by sub-tropical trees and shrubs. Head along the path leading from the church around the edge of the creek for a two-mile coastal path walk.

Turnaware Bar and Tolverne

Both of these areas were used as embarkation points for the D-Day landings. The shingle beaches were covered with concrete honeycombe mattresses - parts of which can still he found today.

St Anthony Head

The Headland is owned by the National Trust and is the starting point for many walks with spectacular views over one of the world’s largest natural harbours. There is a bird hide and the St. Anthony Battery - an 1885 fort with dry moat providing access to a WW2 battery observation post.

St Anthony Lighthouse

St. Anthony Lighthouse, built in 1834, is known for its appearance in children’s TV as the setting for Fraggle Rock. It was built to guard the entrance to the Carrick Roads, and warn passing ships of the Manacles rocks.

Latest Articles

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to the following newsletters:

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Most Read

A+ Education

It's Christmas

Great British Holidays

South West Attractions

Pure Weddings E-edition