Think you know Cornwall? Prove it with our Kernow quiz
PUBLISHED: 13:20 10 November 2020 | UPDATED: 13:35 10 November 2020
Part two of our quiz covers language, history, the people and places that make Cornwall unique - answers ar at the bottom - no cheating!
1) What’s Cornish for Merry Christmas?
2) What Cornish traditional festive feature consists of a crown of apples that is then hung in the middle and topped with a candle?
3) Out of which wood was the Yule Log traditional made?
4) Which community and Arts festival celebrates the Cornish traditions of the past and the midwinter solstice with market stalls and street entertainers by day and a procession by night?
5) What dancing features players touring villages in masks and animal skins, led by a feisty ‘Lord of Misrule’?
6) What happens on Christmas Day at at Summerleaze beach, Bude?
7) What festive dish features fish heads poking out of a pie filled with eggs and potatoes?
8) Which West Cornwall fishing village has special Christmas lights?
9) Where in the county do shopkeepers give out a glass of gin and piece of cake to Christmas shoppers once they’ve finished?
10) On Christmas Day what is forbidden at Polzeath?
11) On what day is the ringlet of the Cornish Christmas Bush hung indoors?
12) Of what is Davies Gilbert of St Erth credited with pioneering a revival?
13) In what cake traditionally was a wedding ring, thimble and sixpence hidden?
14) Who twirls his ribboned umbrella and wears a battered top hat and tailcoat?
15) What could Cornish miners hear singing along with them at the bottom of the mines during carol singing?
16) What are the Hamoaze, the Pol, the Fal and the Gannel?
17) Where is the only national and international airport west of Exeter?
18) What is the name of the Cornish Yule Log?
19) Who chooses a reveller to mark the Yule Log?
20) With what does the reveller mark for the chalking of the Yule Log?
21) In the Cornish dialect what is a ‘goostrumnoodle,’ coined in 1871?
22) What are people from Truro formerly known as?
23) For what are Peter Lanyon, Terry Frost, Patrick Heron, Bryan Wynter and Roger Hilton known?
24) Where in the county is the museum that has counterparts in Merseyside, London and Margate?
25) What is the name of the large, 70 tonne egg-shaped stone installation in the anteroom of the Eden Project?
26) On what day is the annual festival of Tom Bawcock’s Eve in Mousehole?
27) Around which town are Alverton, Wherrytown, Chyandour and Tredarvah?
28) What is the name of the best road from Penzance to Sennen?
29) Which former model owns The Abbey Hotel in Penzance?
30) In mid and east Cornwall what is a ‘didikoy’?
31) Who wrote in 1923 the drama The Queen of Cornwall, a version of the Tristan story?
32) In which town is the Fountain Hotel and Stuart House and a Christmas Lantern Parade?
33) Can you name a place in the county beginning with the letter I?
34) What is the name of the open-air theatre in Porthcurno?
35) What are The Esplanade, The Wellington and The Harbour Moon examples of in the county?
36) What is the name of the Cornish Candle Dance that sees children dancing after nightfall around painted lighted candles?
37) In what are these painted lighted candles placed?
38) What is the name of the annual day of celebration in Helston?
39) Which family live on St. Michael’s Mount?
40) Where is the 15th century church of St Petroc the largest church in Cornwall after the cathedral at Truro?
41) In the Cornish dialect what is meant by ‘scabble-and-gow’, coined in 1864?
42) Which two Prime Ministers since the Second World War have or had holiday homes in Cornwall?
43) What geographical feature are Brown Willy, Brown Gelly and Bin Down?
44) Where is Healeys Cornish Cyder Farm?
45) Which scientist and inventor was born in Penzance on 1778?
46) What is ‘wrasslin’?
47) Where is the Grade One listed building called The Egyptian House?
48) Which noted English car designer, rally driver and speed record holder, born in Perranporth?
49) Why would a ‘huer’ shout ‘Hevva’ from the ‘huer’s hut’ above Newquay harbour?
50) Which actress in the American series Westworld was brought up in Penzance?
1) Nadelik Lowen
2) The Cornish “Kissing” bush
4) Montol Festival in Penzance
6) Christmas Day swim
7) Stargazy Pie
11) 20th December
12) Cornish Carols
13) Twelfth Cake on Twelfth Night
14) The Lord of Misrule
15) Knockers or mine spirits
16) They are bodies of water in the county
17) Newquay Airport
18) The Mock
19) The skeletal horse, known as Montol ‘Oss
20) A stick man
21) A stupid person, a fool
23) They are all Cornish painters
24) St. Ives (The Tate)
26) December 23rd
28) The A 30 road
29) Jean Shrimpton
30) A gypsy
31) Thomas Hardy
33) Idless, Illand, Illogan, Illogan Highway, Inchs, Indian Queens or Insworke
34) The Minack Theatre
35) They are hotels
36) Dons Cantol
37) Boxes of sand
38) Flora Day
39) The St. Aubyn family
41) Tumultuous talking as amongst angry women
42) Sir Harold Wilson and David Cameron
43) They are hills
45) Sir Humphry Davy
46) A sport similar to judo
48) Donald Mitchell Healey
49) To call out the fishing fleet when pilchard shoals were spotted
50) Thandie Newton